Making Longswords Relevant in Today’s Metagame

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

This may seem like a big change, but hear me out – it all makes sense!

With just a few adjustments, we can make longswords relevant in the game without drastically affecting the existing meta.

Here are the proposed changes:

– Increase the range to 5 (and allow for further increase at the blacksmith)
    – Reduce base attack from 9 to 5 and change damage type to pierce
    – Decrease hit points from 60 to 35
    – Increase movement speed from 0.9 to 0.96
    – Change impact of upgrades: Fletching and Bodkin Arrow affect Long Swordsmen; Supplies, Arson, and new PUP armor do not
    – Change base cost to 25w/45g
    – Allow creation from the Archery Range, not just the Barracks
    – Allow for Long Swordsmen garrisoned in fortification buildings to shoot additional arrows
    – Increase vulnerability to siege
    – Give bonus damage vulnerability to Skirmishers
    – Remove infantry attack bonus versus buildings

With these changes, Long Swordsmen become a useful unit for harassing villagers from afar, taking out knights with a single shot, and serving as a great follow up to a drush FC.

They may be more vulnerable to siege, but overall, these modified longswords could be a valuable addition to the game for both seasoned players and newbies.

medievalrevival

Give them cobra cars to ride in.

barooood40

Is that a game mode?

mrbojingle

Historically spears were the melee weapon of choice so, maybe anything in the milita line should be left as a situational choice.

ilpaesaggista

top tier post

scarvet

Sword should be counter units like they should and Spear should be mainline, that would make the triangle and counter triangle work even better.

PhantasticFor

It’s like clockwork.

People make suggestions, then ones without the capacity to understand, make memes mocking them.

Why are humans like this? “I don’t understand your gender/religion/insert preference, let me mock you instead”

[deleted]

[deleted]

consultant_in

Or like the Rathas, have them switch between Melee and ranged attackā€¦ combine the attacks of long swords and skirmishers

BerryMajor2289

In defense, they’re called LONGswordsman. 11

Different-Raisin2321

The best post I’ve seen so far on this matter

JakeArvizu

“How to make _____ unit viable” – Pierce armor is the answer to that question every time.

Aggravating-Skill-26

Probably not good enough as a base unit, so I think Civs like Britons should get +3 range, Eth attack 18% faster & Mayans need a buff so make their Militia line a lot cheaper.

therealNerdMuffin

I think the changes they’re putting into the game into the next patch is already going to make a good change that’ll boost the rate inf is used without being too dramatic

HakunaMataha

Or gave them horses

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button
ajax-loader