The Initial ELO Rating Must Begin at 500.

• This topic has 17 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 1 year ago by NoMedium8805.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

The default starting ELO of 1K in ranked games is negatively affecting the team’s state as it leads to unbalanced and distorted games when new players join.

To improve this, there should be a clear progression plan in place before players can start ranked games at the 1K range.

burlapturtleneck

And what about people who actually are about average, statistically the most common kind of player of ranked in the case of this distribution, then you want them to have to win 10 straight times to get to their starting elo?

The new players not having enough to really start on ranked is something that might need to be addressed but this simply won’t fix it and will cause more problems

NoMedium8805

This subreddit could use a stickied post “How Elo works, and why your proposed changes won’t fix anything.”

Quirky_Bat

Start everyone at 3K ELO, make people feel like Gods for a day.

_genade

That seems like a good idea.

Also your Elo swings should be much higher in your first couple of games than is currently the case, and you should not be matched up against other new players, so you reach your true rating much quicker.

Those who say you don’t understand Elo and that your method would simply cause everyone to get -500 Elo are not fully understanding Elo themselves.

By winning/losing more points than your opponents in your first ranked games, this problem gets averted.

snail_of_maya

I float around 1000 elo for team games and the discrepancy in skill level between different players is insane…

It sounds like from other comments the math wouldn’t work out (I won’t claim to know anything about that one way or the other) but there has to be *something* they can do about it…

Hungry_kereru

You just need to get better than 1k and you’ll be fine

Substantial-Water-10

Idk getting my ass kicked and learning others tactics that where used against me made me a lot better at the game.

Embarrassed-Bus-8591

I agree.

I don’t even play ranked or online, but when I did a few games, I started off getting killed.

I’d rather have started off low and slowly go up than start mid, crash and have to rebuild over time.

CamRoth

You don’t understand how elo works.

It doesn’t really matter what number you pick as the starting elo, that’s where the average will settle.

Rnd4897

Changing starting elo will not change anything.

If 1k range has some problems, they will be about 600 elo if this change happens and they will still have issues.

Jaivl

Starting ELO at 1000 is fine, but they should massively increase the k-factor for the first games.

Applejack_pleb

The actual problem is that players dont go up and down quickly enough.

In team games the worst player on a team drops the least with a loss and the best player gains the least with a win so being better or worse than your team causes players to not move very quickly.

Due to these problems the worst player on a team can get carried to like a 40% win rate and still not lose elo if they are consistently the lowest elo player on a team

homiej420

Ideally those incorrectly placed there will go down quickly and those correctly there wont go up too much more

iswerimnotblind

starting elo should be the same, The change that is going to make everyone happy is wining and losing more points in the calibration matches.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button
ajax-loader