My Review of Group Stage Progress in the 2023 Nations Cup.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

I have enjoyed watching the Nations Cup, as it provides a nice change from the usual 1-on-1 tournaments.

In Group A, Argentina came out on top, with China B and Poland following closely behind.

In Group B, Finland dominated while the UK put in a solid performance, and Norway and Denmark struggled.

Group C saw Canada delivering a strong performance, with France A struggling against their French counterparts.

In Group D, Spain has not lived up to expectations while Sweden and Australia have been surprises, with a particularly exciting set between Sweden and Australia.

Group E saw Vietnam take the top spot after China was disqualified for cheating, while the Czech Republic finished last.

Finally, Group F has been competitive, with Chile and Mexico A fighting for the top spot and Taiwan just missing out on the second rank.

Brazil B has not performed as well as expected, with RiuT not playing any matches.

Overall, there have been some great team performances throughout the Nations Cup.

Sensitive-Safe9201

Great write up!

The USA team has been so disappointing, they were seeded cery high and honestly, i think they would and will struggle to win games in the very competitive silver league.

Hopefully we see lierrey play with his country team.

I wonder what is the most played map of the tournament so far ?

I would usually say Arabia but i am actually not certain if this is the case…

Did anyone cast the games of Australia, Chile and China B ?

robo_boro

> – (Australia) Christ with a great set versus Spain, and one of the most convincing shutdowns of a star player that I have seen during the final game of the match vs Sweden on Team Acropolis.

As the game went on to imperial age, I expected Ganji to firmly put Team Sweden ahead (Ganji is the recent Deathmatch 1vs1 world cup winner) but to my surprise, it simply never happened.

Chris was a top 5-10 DMer for close to a decade before switching to RM.

jaggerCrue

For me Australia is the biggest surprise so far.

For a team without any star player they are playing amazing, especially when you consider how stacked their group is.

I thought they will be dead last but they have a good shot at advancing to play-offs.

Btw seeding for this tourney is ass, France being #1 is a joke, so overrated

TWestAoe

> The Taiwan team had a close set versus Mexico A, with a game that saw Taiwan in the lead, having to be restarted due to a malfunctioning restore.

Watching that game I actually think Mexico was ahead when the drop happened (the score difference was only ~200-300 points).

Their landing bought them time to get to the late game and killed 32 Vils of the Sicilian pocket.

Neither of Taiwan’s flanks were in a position to land.

And their Teuton pocket, who had to invest into lots of Knights to defend the landing, was ~3 minutes from Imp.

Mexico had Portuguese and Spanish trade for the late game, with their Spanish player on their way to Imp.

I think it would have been really difficult for Cyan to get Imp, build Docks and Transport Ships, land, and do enough damage to end the game.

But it’s really subjective to interpret the game at that point, and other people probably disagree with that assessment.

I think having the players replay the game from the start was the only fair thing the admins could do at that point.

It’s a shame that save+restore doesn’t always work on DE.

I spent a long time turning my WiFi off/on with ZeroEmpires when we were hosting tournaments on the HD Edition just to submit bug reports about the restores failing.

And now they still can fail on DE. :'(
    It really makes me miss running tournaments with the UserPatch and Voobly where this feature worked properly.

sensuki

I’ve watched most of the games from the Main Stage.

Some of my own comments

I’ve been really impressed with Nicov’s performance and he’s used some interesting strategies on some of the maps.

His spamming of defensive keeps as Malay on Team Islands and his forward with Elite Sergeants on Arena worked really well.

Finland look like the strongest team by far and good on all maps.

Top four are probably Finland, Canada, Brazil A and Germany A.

Looking forward to the France A vs Italy game, as Italy looked like they played a bit better vs Canada than France did.

I’ve also thought Spain’s players other than Tatoh and LaN have been quite disappointing.

Tomate choked in every game he played, even in the Showmatch vs Mexico and I haven’t really felt like any of the others performed that well either.

They’ve looked good on Migration though because Tatoh has absolutely dominated water, and LaN has dominated land.

Agree on China A being a bit underwhelming.

I was disappointed to not see SleepySwede play vs Australia, he’s played really well this tournament.

Australia have been really good on Team Acropolis.

Assuming they make it to the Ro16 (seems likely) I’ll look forward to seeing how they go on that vs some of the other big teams.

Albis from Taiwan has had some great performances on water maps.

He dominated his side on Migration vs Chile (and Migration was Chile’s home map).

It’s been cool to see a variety of maps being played.

I think due to bans, there’s been a few maps that teams are more ‘neutral’ on – Team Acropolis is popular for the 3rd map choice for a lot of sets and Migration seems to be very common for a home pick, as well as a 3rd map.

None of the team captain voted in maps have been that popular (African Clearing, Hideout and MegaRandom).

Golden Lakes was a popular choice during the Qualifiers but hasn’t been played as much during groups.

I wish Team Acro, Chaos Pit and Two Rivers were in the ranked TG pool.

karulg

>Germany came to play and without a surprise, has been fairly dominant, with two 3:0 results and are guaranteed first position in their group.

Arg B (only played one set so far) could still get first too.

will_121

So how do Australia not qualify?

If Russia win 2-0, do Aus need to do an extra match vs Sweden?

The-Berzerker

Wait so Nations Cup is going on parallel to NAC4?

latamrider

Where can I watch these games?

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button
ajax-loader