Why are pros so dang hesitant to create militia-line units when militia would clearly be a winning play?

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    harooooo1

Tatoh lost all map control and had no way to bring it back at the point of resignation.

There is no way for twohanded swordsmen at that point to be able to push through those easily defendable chokepoints where Viper had Castles.

sampete1

I think it’s mainly that it takes too long to switch into.

You typically need to research man-at-arms, long swordsman, two-handed swordsman, champion sometimes, supplies, gambesons, arson, and squires, and up to 6 blacksmith upgrades.

Many of those have to be researched sequentially, which takes time, and you don’t always have that much time available.

Plus you typically don’t have many barracks late game, so it’s faster to switch to units in the production buildings you already have.

I would’ve loved to see Malay trash longswords in that one game, though.

No idea if that would’ve been enough to change anything.

White_Pixels

Forced levy is an expensive upgrade.

You usually plan beforehand and save resources if you want to research it.

Also militia line upgrades take a long time and lots of resources militia -> man-at-arms -> long swordsmen -> two handed swordsmen.

You can spam karambits from castles instantly.

In this case maybe Tatoh thought trash and karambits (beat trash) would be sufficient but by the time he realized he needed trash two-handed swordmen, it was too late.

It’s just my guess but only Tatoh could tell you what was going in his head 🙂

temudschinn

Overall its because the militia line takes time to tech into (and ressources), and can be countered very easily and with minimal investment.

Yes, they shred trash but if you invest nearly 2k res into upgrading a unit that then gets countered by 20 leftover archers you just made a loosing play.

For the game in question, you just describe it wrong.

Viper had a ball of arbs all game long.

kochapi

Tatoh resigned with 2.1k wood 4k food 1.7k gold and 600 stone.

He had 130 vills as well.

He had time and resources to switch to forced levy.

searchingthesilence

Any strategy consisting of ” just spam ____” isn’t taking into account any counterplay.

I think at our level there are a lot of game ending moves that, against a higher level opponent, would simply shift the game to a new stage.

csgonemes1s

A young fool once did…

Long swords as huns…

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
Back to top button
ajax-loader